08 October 2005

Odds & Ends

Talking with JK last night about various things including work, he reminded me of Dr Chi’s obsession with Tai Chi. Apparently he would sleep with the Classics under his pillow so that if he woke up during the night he could dip into the tradition, and he used to work so hard at his Tai Chi that when he got into bed at night he’d have to use his hands to physically lift his legs into bed they’d be so tired and sore. I also remember being told that when practising a slow, sunk Form he’d rarely get further than Crossing Hands because by that point he’d be screaming in agony. Pain does cleanse, and any intensity is better than none.

John also mentioned that students of the Internal will be interested in the meanings behind all things and will be suspicious of the obvious. He also discussed three aspects or qualities: heart, spirit and soul. Put simply, heart is feeling for others, spirit is vitality, and soul is depth. We all have them in varying proportions. The idea is to distinguish which one you’re lacking and concentrate on it. Those with plenty of heart are warm and loving but prone to being taken advantage of. Those with spirit tend to be fiery and great at getting things done (nothing is beyond them), but tend to lack wisdom and can be angry and insensitive. Those with soul are wise, sensitive and slow and prone to melancholia. All can be developed if the student applies themselves intelligently.

I’ve often felt that what my schooling lacked was any emphasis on heart. If, after completing my A-levels at 18 I’d had to spend a year caring for others I’d have turned out a much better person. A term each with children, the elderly and the mentally ill would have been perfect.

Across the road from us here is a home for the mentally ill. We once had a parcel delivered there and I had to go and collect it. I knocked on the door and the face of a young lady with Down's syndrome appeared at the large window next to the door. She opened the window and said, “Hello, my name’s Beautiful Pauline, what’s yours?” I introduced myself and explained why I was there. She ushered me in through the window (she wasn’t allowed to open the door) and led me by the hand to the live-in carer who gave me the parcel at which Beautiful Pauline led me back to the window through which I crawled to exit the building. That girl had so much beauty and heart that I spent the rest of the day in a state of elation, tingling with her energy and goodness, wondering if I’d ever have the courage to trade my intelligence for her heart.

No comments