22 April 2006

Teaching

My teacher once told me that, as a teacher, you must ensure that you give your students everything in their first lesson since it may be the only time you see them. Of course you cannot present the whole body of work in all its corporeal glory - it's far too massive - so you must present the essence of the teaching. This is only really possible, and is unavoidable, if you embody that essence - if you have become a limb of the teaching - if you bleed with it. This requires you to have received sufficient transmission from your teacher and then for you to have worked solely with those transmissions long enough to internalize them. Is all you can be sure of is that this process takes time - lots of it.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

And it doesn't take a word. I missed my first class with Christian. When I went, on the second week, he just walked to the front and started the warm-ups, and everyone silently got behind him and began moving in unison. It felt as if a weight had dropped from my heart. I knew I was where I had to be. My mind kept reminding me to be cautious, but I had come home. I've no idea what Christian said when he eventually spoke.
Pat