24 February 2008

Energy & Spirit

This for those I taught at the weekend:

The message I try to get across when I teach is that we are energetic communicating beings first and foremost, and that energy and communication work best when directed by the heart. Energy has its own intelligence and obeys its own laws, which we reveal when we wake it up and then leave it alone (relax – don't harrass it with our slow calculating minds or our clumsy lumpen bodies). The thinking mind's greatest invention – language – is certainly insufficient to the task of elaborating and enumerating the world of energy – as soon as we say anything specific about energy then we have to admit every other specific possibility, creating a richly textured world that proliferates as it works. So, language here is useful not because it says anything important but because it forces us to wake up to what it does not say, and then, hopefully, to what it cannot say. This is poetry.

There is a fundamental energy which we call spirit. It sparks life into things. Life is the seething interaction of seemingly opposing energies and forces – energies we would expect to combine/combust or cancel each other out instead find a way of not only working side by side, but in fact encourage each other to thrive. The mix is volatile, exciting and unpredictable, and it worries the thinking mind which struggles to combine the opposing energies into a stable and secure state of affairs. Every action in the universe is sparked (triggered) by spirit and every action in you is similarly sparked, on a molecular, cellular, and gross physical level. Spiritual work is simply the struggle to become aware of spirit so that life can be lived for what it is – an almost seamless flow of sparks of spirit. It is seeing the source of light rather than what the light illuminates; eventually you become that source of light. Awareness becomes becoming.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I can't say anything about this,Steven, because I am a simple-minded person. Spirit comes to me wordlessly, in people, in action.
I do see spirit in people's eyes. I loved meeting with you, however tiny a window I allowed to open in me. It is the old fear of intimacy , which keeps my window shut much of my life. Thank You!!Ronit.