26 February 2008

Work

This is an email I received from a comrade who attended the weekend workshop, plus my reply:

I feel that I can be sparked by every connection – physical and non-physical. For the connection to be made, I only need my heart to be opened and the presence in my consciousness of the other – physical or non-physical. No activity is needed by the other entity. The better I'm rooted, the loss of energy is diminished. That huge amount of energy should be used in some forms: the common one is to strengthen my body. Another one is to heal myself by letting the energy circulate in my body, especially to sick organs as well as sick mental and emotional parts. The third use is to let that energy hug the world – basically everything that comes in front of me. Halevay (I wish).

And, with your permission, I have a question: I got the impression that during the work you don't tune (physically) the students to their root. Could you explain to me your attitude?


Firstly I would like to say that I think a physical root is vitally important, and that as spiritual work progresses so should one's rootedness, otherwise one floats away. But when I teach is all I can do is teach where I am at. I cannot start working with something I have little confidence in or incomplete understanding of. This time I decided (unconsciously of course) to start with the breathing sacrum and build a world from that, and work with a soft light touch to encourage peoples hearts to open out into each other and into the space. Also, the fundamental truth I am feeling more and more nowadays is that yin and yang are always together – dipolar if you like – you cannot have one without the other being there as well. So the root into the earth generates and is generated by the route to the stars: up necessitates down, soft requires hard, tenderness is weak without ruthlessness, and, most significantly, you need the other as the other needs you (we must admit the emotiveness of the situation – it is a vital part of the elastic). When these "opposites" are together (rather than one following the other), the interaction and interplay between them is intense and dynamic (elastic), but also equal – the coming together draws each into the fray. But there also exists a delicate and nourishing space between them (or is it around them? – both are felt) where your essence can reside and be more fulfilled than it can if it rides either of the opposing energies. If you ride energy then you experience exhilaration and excitement followed by deflation and exhaustion (this is using energy as a drug). If you find the quiet space (the eye of the storm) within the maelstrom then you are eminently stable. This quiet space is everywhere and with work and with time (patience) you develop an affinity for it – a natural tuning with it – and your essence can extend into every such space it finds. This is healing. To find that quiet space you must become aware not just of the two opposing energies, but of the mechanism that forces them together and then keeps them apart. This mechanism we call "Life." When you enter Life in this way – with sobriety and courage and without intellect (greed) – then you begin to be aware of the overwhelming togetherness of the things of life – like an inevitable and all-inclusive design to life where even the tiniest things have meaning and purpose. Your spirit and soul then start to align themselves with this "godly intelligence" and you enter the divine.

No comments