12 December 2008

Thinking

I suspect that thinking started all those thousands of years ago when we lost faith – when we started to sense problems that required solution rather than simply being a part of the world in the world; when our love – our willingness to engage and allow the world into our bodies – lost its ferocity and centrality and became a passive and occasional luxury. Since then of course the thinking mind has become so dominant that it spends almost all our conscious time and energy not only solving problems but creating those problems in the first place. Thinking is an idle and largely unnecessary occupation.

2 comments

John Crewdson said...

Great post Steven. I don't always agree with you you, yet I agree completely on this one. I do always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Thanks,
John Crewdson

Amenta said...

Very interesting observation! I will need to ponder this one.

Thank you,
Victor Amenta